How to Prevent Bad Body Odour | Dettol India
Fresh and Confident: Tips to Prevent Bad Body Odour
While sitting in a conference room or a lounge with friends, have you brushed your nose past your shoulders to check if you are stinking? Body odour can make you conscious and easily embarrass you too.
Body odour refers to the unpleasant smell that arises due to the breakdown of sweat by the bacteria on our skin. An unpleasant body odour can undermine one's self-esteem, confidence, and reputation. It can make them conscious about their own self, leading to decreased social interactions.
Hence, everyone wants to avoid body odour for personal hygiene and to feel more confident and socially at ease. Prevention of body odour promotes self-esteem.
Managing the causes of bad body odour helps in employing effective prevention techniques for the same.
Understanding the Causes of Body Odour
It is a common myth that sweat has a foul smell. The fact is that the sweat produced by our sweat glands is initially odourless. Then what causes the body odour? Let us discuss the common causes of body odour one by one:
- Sweat: The sweat produced by our sweat glands is initially odourless. But when it encounters the bacteria residing on our skin, it produces compounds that have a distinct smell. Certain folds in our skin, like that of underarms, groins, and feet, have more sweat glands and are prone to odour-causing bacteria.
- Poor hygiene: Everyone acknowledges the importance of handwashing to stay healthy, but cleansing your body and regular bathing is pivotal for armpit smell treatment. Poor personal hygiene practices like skipping baths and improper washing of certain body parts allow the bacteria to thrive and contribute to body odour.
- Diet: Believe it or not, a balanced diet is essential for smelling pleasantly. Certain food items, such as onions, garlic, and spices, contain compounds that can be easily released through sweat, resulting in a noticeable body odour. Hence, if you sweat a lot, then avoid eating strong-smelling foods for a temporary period.
- Hormonal imbalances or Medical conditions: During puberty, everyone undergoes hormonal changes, which contribute to body odour too. Some medical conditions can also lead to excessive sweating and body odour. Conditions like hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease, and certain hormonal disorders can contribute to strong body odour.
- Stress and anxiety: Emotional turmoil, stress, and anxiety can trigger excessive sweating, which, in turn, can make the body odour even worse.
It's important to note that body odour can vary from person to person due to differences in genetics, diet, lifestyle, and overall health. If body odour persists despite good hygiene practices, you must consult a healthcare professional for further evaluation and guidance.
Essential Tips for Body Odour Prevention
The body odour differs from person to person due to varying body chemistry. The genes, lifestyle, and diet play an important role in body odour, but a few tips can help you fight body odour. Try the following tips to prevent body odour and see what works best for you.
- Maintain Good Personal Hygiene- For body odour treatment, emphasis on personal hygiene is paramount. Bathing regularly with mild soap and warm water cleanses the body but a good antibacterial soap will remove the germs too. The Dettol Soap has antibacterial properties and is especially effective in eliminating odour-causing bacteria from the skin and keeping you fresh and fragrant. While taking a shower, thoroughly clean your underarms, groin, and feet, as they are prone to sweating. Even during the day, if you sweat a lot, you can wipe your underarms, neck, and hands using Dettol Wipes.
- Choose the Right Clothing - In hot and humid weather, washing clothes daily and wearing clean ones is advisable. Dirty clothes can harbour bacteria and contribute to body odour. Add a cap full of Dettol Antiseptic Liquid while doing laundry and keep your clothes germ-free. Also, wear breathable fabrics like cotton that allow better air circulation and reduce the accumulation of sweat.
- Choose the Right Products: Antiperspirants and deodorants are popular choices to fight body odour. However, both of them work differently. On the one hand, antiperspirant controls sweating, while deodorant is a body smell remover that adds fragrance and helps eliminate odour. Applying antiperspirants and deodorants to the underarms reduces sweating and neutralises the body's odour.
- Diet and Hydration: Drinking adequate water helps regulate body temperature and dilute sweat, reducing body odour. Avoiding pungent foods like onions, garlic, and spices helps reduce body odour.
- Stress Management: Nervousness and panic attacks can make you sweat profusely. So, engage in stress management techniques such as meditation and deep breathing to reduce stress levels.
- Tips for managing Foot Odours: Foot odour is common because people don't wash their feet properly. The space between the toes is prone to sweating and depositing dirt and bacteria. So, wash your feet with soap, water and Dettol Antiseptic Liquid while bathing, especially focusing on the spaces between your toes. Before putting on your shoes, dry your feet thoroughly. You can use foot powders and antifungal spray to keep the feet dry and infection-free.
In addition to that, always wear clean socks. If you have sweaty feet, opt for socks that absorb the sweat and keep your feet dry. Also, invest in good quality shoes made of breathable materials such as leather or mesh. This allows air circulation and minimises foot odour. Dry wash your footwear from time to time and keep them in the sun to prevent bacterial growth in them.
Sweating is natural, but bad body odour can make one uncomfortable. Hence, taking the necessary steps to prevent body odour is important.
Regular bathing, applying antiperspirant or deodorants, and wearing clean clothes and appropriate footwear help minimise body odour. The bacteria residing on the skin are the real culprits of body odour. Hence, it is recommended to use the antibacterial range of Dettol products to stay clean, fresh, and fragrant all day.
Follow these simple tips to effectively manage body odour and feel more confident and comfortable in social circles. Whether you are attending a lecture or a party with your friends, raise your hands without hesitation because it is time to be comfortable in your own skin!