Pneumonia is an infection that affects a person’s lungs. It is caused by bacteria, fungi, viruses and parasites. When a person suffers from pneumonia, a part of his lungs called alveoli, gets inflamed. Pneumonia could turn into a very serious health issue or could actually turn fatal if not cured immediately. This disease affects both young and healthy people, but it is considered most damaging for elderly people, babies and those who are already suffering from other diseases or have weak immune systems. 
What causes pneumonia?
The principle causes of pneumonia are bacteria and viruses. When a person inhales some pneumonia-causing germs and due to any reason his immune system fails to prevent their entry, these germs settle in the small air sacs called alveoli in the lungs and continue multiplying. So then the body sends white blood cells to counter this infection, which is when these air sacs become filled with fluid and pus, thereby causing pneumonia. 
Half of the total number of deaths across the globe caused by pneumonia happened in India. Approximately 3.7 lakh children die in India annually because of pneumonia. This issue is a regional one, as the top ten countries related to child deaths by pneumonia are all in Asia.
Newborns and children under the age of two are at a higher risk of catching pneumonia as their immune systems are only just developing. Symptoms of pneumonia include: Difficulty in breathing, coughing, fever, headaches, chills and a loss of appetite.
In order to prevent your children from contracting pneumonia, here are some tips that you all need to follow: 
- Get vaccinated: The first step is to get yourself vaccinated for pneumonia and flu. Talk to your doctor about getting these shots.
- Get your children vaccinated: A different vaccine is recommended by doctors for children under the age of 2 and for kids of age 2- 5. Always remember that kids of these ages are most at risk of catching pneumonia. So get your children vaccinated.
- Keep a good hygiene: A good personal hygiene routine is a must to keep you away from contacting and transmitting harmful respiratory diseases like pneumonia. Protect yourself by washing your hands properly only with the Dettol Gold Liquid hand wash because it provides 100% Better protection vs other germ protection liquid soaps. Remember to keep your house and food clean & hygienic.
- Say no to smoking: Smoking ultimately damages your lungs and its natural defences to counter respiratory infections.
- Keeping your immune system healthy and strong: Sleep more, exercise regularly and keep a healthy diet.
Medicalnewstoday.com.What is pneumonia? What causes pneumonia? URL http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/151632.php
Dawn.com. Pneumonia claims 92,000 children’s life annually. URL http://www.dawn.com/news/1054644
Mayoclinic.com. Disease and Conditions Pneumonia. URL http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pneumonia/basics/prevention/con-20020032